Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Cleveland
Pedestrian accidents are, unfortunately, very common as pedestrians are not always afforded the same care and consideration as other road users. They are also at a higher risk of serious injury as they do not have the same physical protection as vehicle users. Many pedestrians are left severely injured or even killed in road accidents across Ohio every year due to careless motorists and other negligent parties. If you were harmed in such an accident, contact our pedestrian accident lawyers in Cleveland to speak with an attorney.
Our legal team can help you to make informed decisions, avoid common mistakes, protect your claim against unwarranted disputes, and gather vital evidence to help strengthen your claim. Enlisting the help of a seasoned lawyer can also help relieve some of the stress you and your loved ones face, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
At Obral, Silk & Pal, our pedestrian accident attorneys have a proven track record of securing substantial settlements to help cover the losses our clients have faced in the wake of an accident that was not their fault. Call us today at 216-529-9377 to schedule a free consultation and case assessment.
Our Cleveland Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Can Help Approximate a Fair Settlement
Our pedestrian accident attorneys have seen just how devastating these cases can be. Injuries can range from more minor cuts and bruises to life-changing injuries such as broken bones, internal bleeding, and spinal trauma.
Your medical bills and other unforeseen accident-related expenses may be piling up. You may also be sidelined from work and unable to perform your usual duties due to your injuries. This is likely to place immense pressure on your finances and your stress levels may be through the roof.
Fortunately, in the state of Ohio, you can file a personal injury claim against the liable party for compensation for your losses. However, the claims process can be complex and time-consuming, so you should get in touch with an experienced pedestrian accident attorney in Cleveland for assistance with your claim.
The compensation that you seek by filing a personal injury claim is intended to make you financially whole again. This includes the economic losses that you have suffered due to the pedestrian accident and your subsequent injuries.
You may be able to include the following economic damages as part of your claim:
- Medical bills
- Future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning potential should you no longer be fit to return to the same line of work
- Cost of modifications to your home to accommodate your injuries and resulting disabilities
- Cost of repair or replacement of your personal property (for example, a cell phone, watch, or laptop that you had on you) that was damaged in the accident
Not all losses that you face after a serious injury are tangible. You may also be able to include compensation for non-economic damages as part of your claim. This is intended to compensate for how your life had been affected by the accident and your injuries.
Intangible losses may include:
- Pain, suffering, and discomfort
- Loss of life enjoyment
- Loss of mobility or permanent disability
- Reduced quality of life
- Stress, anxiety, insomnia, and horror caused by the accident
Tips to Strengthen Your Personal Injury Claim
Filing a personal injury claim is not something that we are taught to do in school. It may feel like a daunting task, and you might not know where to start building your case. A good first step would be to appoint a pedestrian accident lawyer who will have the knowledge and resources to help you gather important evidence to put together a strong claim.
The opposing party and the insurance company are likely looking for any missteps and mistakes on your part so that they have grounds on which to dispute your claim to try to avoid a substantial payout. It is, therefore, important to carefully think about your steps after the accident and try not to let the shock of the accident lead you to make mistakes during the claims process.
Your pedestrian accident attorney can provide you with valuable advice and tips on how to strengthen your personal injury claim:
- Report the Accident Immediately: If you have been in a pedestrian accident, you should immediately report the incident to the police. The responding officer will assess the scene of the accident and compile an official detailed report. Having an official report of the accident can be useful when trying to prove certain details of the accident and how your injuries occurred. An official report can be used to back up your version of events when filing a personal injury claim against the liable party, strengthening your claim.
- Seek Prompt Medical Care: You should visit a doctor immediately after the accident, regardless of how serious you feel your injuries are. A prompt diagnosis will ensure that further injury is avoided and may also help to reduce the risk of disputes against your claim. If you put off seeing a doctor after the accident, the insurer could argue that your injuries are not serious as you did not need urgent medical treatment, or that you were negligent and did not mitigate your damages. This could lead to partial liability and a reduced settlement.
- Write a Detailed Account of the Accident: Personal injury claims can become drawn out and your memory of the details of the incident may start to fade with time. It is, therefore, a good idea to write down everything that you can remember about the accident in a personal injury journal for future reference while the details are still fresh in your mind. Make notes of any eyewitnesses you may have spoken to, surveillance cameras you may have noticed near the scene, and any details you feel may help strengthen your case. If possible, take photos of the scene of the accident, your injuries, and any damage to your personal property. This will also help your pedestrian accident attorney in Cleveland to understand the accident and gather relevant evidence that may help strengthen your claim.
- Keep Thorough Records: Keep a record of all the documentation relating to the accident and your injuries. This includes every report, photograph, paycheck, email, medical bill, receipt, and prescription that you have received during your case. This will assist your attorney when it comes to proving the damages that you have suffered.
Talk to a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Cleveland About Your Case
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident due to someone else’s negligence and feel that you have grounds to file a claim for compensation against them, contact us at Obral, Silk & Pal. We can provide you with expert legal advice on how to proceed with your case. Our experienced lawyers will handle all the logistics of your claim for you while you focus on your recovery. Call us at 216-529-9377 to be connected to one of our experienced attorneys.